The Language Center was established in 1972 and is part of the Department of Applied Linguistics and Language Studies at Chung Yuan Christian University(CYCU).The Center offers foreign language courses to both undergraduate and graduate students at CYCU.
- For college freshman, the Language Center provides Freshman English and Listening & Speaking classes in the lab.
- For second-year students, the Center offers Sophomore English and a variety of second foreign language courses as elective courses, including French, German, Korean, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese.
- For non-English majors, the Center offers courses on advanced writing and advanced conversation.
- For the Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Applied Science, and Graduate School of Business, the Center offers, technical writing and business courses that have been especially designed for these schools. These courses are very popular and in high demand.
To further engage the interest and enthusiasm of CYCU students, the Center sponsors four school-wide contests each year: English Speech, English Recitation, English Drama, and an English Spelling Bee. Additionally, the Center offers English Corners, Writing Clinics, and an English Consultation Room for students with difficulty in learning English. Also, throughout the academic year, the Center holds various workshops on studying abroad, English resume writing, research paper writing, and presentation skill training.
- We will create an environment, that is accessible, comfortable, and productive.
- We will help students improve their reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills for academic and professional purposes.
- We will help students understand and practice many learning strategies for accomplishing the ultimate goal of communicating effectively.
The main goal of the Language Center is to refine students’ communication skills including reading, writing, speaking, and listening.The second goal is to enrich students’ appreciation of cultures around the world. The Language Center also plays an important role by providing certificate-based programs, including TOEIC, TOEFL, GEPT, and IELTS.